Sunday, January 4, 2009

Best of 2008


I know I said I would post this before the new year, but I didn't get around to it. I had my lists and awards all made up and compiled, but I just didn't feel like writing the blog. Now! Now I'm back to Sackville, and feeling AWESOME once more.

So, let's get this thing going. I'll start with the general awards, and then count down the top ten concerts of the year.


BEST VENUE
George's Roadhouse, Sackville, NB

BEST DANCE MOVES
Drew from the Bicycles

BEST SING-ALONG
Laura Barrett and the rest of the dozen of us all realising that no one really knows the words to Bruce Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark. Go on. Try to sing it. Even with the tune being played on a kalimba, not one of us could get the song right, and it descended into We Didn't Start The Fire. Somehow.

BEST ALBUM TRACK
Woodhands - Be Back Soon (click to download)

MOST UNIQUE MERCH
Ghost Bees' Dreamy Tea--a custom blend loose tea pulled together by Sari and Romy, said to invoke incredibly lucid dreams. And it tastes delightful.

BEST LIVE TRACK
This one was tough. Up until the 20th of last month, it was Jason Collett and Rebekah Higgs doing Jason's Hangover Days, Rebekah singing Emily Haines' part. BUT, the Tom Fun Orchestra on the 20th of December in Saint John played The Pogues' Fairytale of New York, making my Christmas worthwhile. I'm going to chalk this up as a tie between the two of them, because I honestly just can't pick.

BEST STAGE BANTER
Sebastien Grainger at the Pavillion in Halifax: "So, where do you work? An organic food store? ...Do I come to the organic food store and slap the dick outta your mouth?"

BEST SHOW I DIDN'T SEE
The whole of Sappyfest '08. I almost came up here in August but I decided against it. Huge, huge, huge mistake and one of my biggest regrets of the year.


and actually, since I'm going to dinner with the show reviews only half done, I'll end this here for now. keep your eyes peeled! like grapes. peeled grapes.

No comments: