Monday, December 22, 2008

The fluorescent lights are humming a song.


Okay, so, spotlight today on New Royalty, a young band out of Charlottetown. I saw them open the Halloween party I went to and, frankly, I don't even remember what the headliner of that show was except one of them was dressed as a box robot.

New Royalty though were a lot of fun. The lot of them were dressed as 1864, if I remember rightly. Kind of genericish indie rock, but I don't often see genericish indie rock from the Maritimes, especially done this well. They rather blew me away and were awfully memorable. Some drunk girl who I didn't actually know but liked to think she knew me introduced me to their keyboard player and we had a nice little chat about dressing as ceiling fans. Cute person, nice person, YOUNG person. The next time we spoke it was about prospective universities she was looking at. With so little age behind them, the fact that they're so absolutely memorable and lovely says a lot. Lily, one of the singers, her voice is just stunning. I don't quite know what it is about it that puts me into this awesome trance but there's just this quality, sweet and not quite haunting but the same sort of idea. I don't know. I just woke up.

I have a couple tracks up here for downloading, but be sure to check out their myspace and find out when they might be playing near you. Fall in love with them! They're absolutely delightful.

New Royalty - Fluorescent


New Royalty - Midday Sun

No comments: