Monday, February 9, 2009

You said you were going to a party in St John's.

I just had the chance to hear Jenn Grant's new record, Echoes. As hard as it seems to believe, I found it to be so much more wonderful than Orchestra for the Moon ever could have dreamt of being. Everything on this one, Jenn's voice, the instrumentation and arrangements, the songwriting, everything about it is so much more than the previous. It floats all through the folk and country spectrum like her previous one, but does such a wonderful job. The first time I heard Orchestra, yeah, I fell in love, but I did skip over a few tracks. With Echoes, there is none of that. Every track is solid. Every track is golden. I'm having a hard time deciding which of them to put up here, to be honest. Really, you should run out as soon as you can and pick up this record. Have your local record store order it in, if you can't find it, or order it yourself online. Check out Jenn's myspace and take in the music there. This album is such a thing of beauty. And like I said, I loved Orchestra for the Moon... but this! This takes my breath away.

Its hard for me to, like I said, pick a highlight out of the record but if I had to I think it would be I Was Your Woman, which reminds me quite a bit of Sarah Slean (whom I adore). Jenn's voice is at its best here, showing off that quality that made me fall in love with it. I can't even describe the sound she creates, it's something words just can't do justice to. And the music!

She also throws a Neil Young cover on the album in the form of Only Love Can Break Your Heart, and I think I'm going to make that a blog tag because it comes up so frequently. I would put it up here, but then I'd feel like I was sharing too much. Go buy the album!

Jenn Grant - Heartbreaker
Jenn Grant - Parachutes
Jenn Grant - (I've Got) the Two of You

I'm going to leave it there. I have things to do. I'll say that Fireflies reminds me a lot of Dreamer, from Orchestra, but Dreamer 2.0, a vast improvement on that one. But now, adios! And do tune in tonight at midnight (atlantic time) to CHMA in Sackville for my radio programme!

No comments: