Saturday, February 14, 2009

I've got to stay alive and drunk and unemployed.

This Wednesday, 18 February, Geoff Berner is playing at Struts Gallery, assumedly around 8. I can't find a time for this anywhere. I've given his latest albums a few listens, and it's enthralling.

He's an accordion-player from Vancouver whose mandate is to "drag klezmer music kicking and screaming back to the bars". Really, this is all that really needs to be said. He plays jewish klezmer music in a three-piece with a violinist and a drummer, but with the mind-set of punk music. It strikes me as having a lot in common with ska, but maybe I'm just crazy. I'll write a full review after the show, but for now you'll have to settle for a couple of songs. Take a listen! Enjoy the music! Come out to Struts!

Geoff Berner - Fukher
Geoff Berner - No Tobacco

No comments: