Saturday, July 11, 2009

First Look at the Halifax Pop Explosion 09

In it's 17th year, the Halifax Pop Explosion is almost old enough to drink in Quebec and from the looks of the initial lineup, it's already sneaking into bars and coming home rowdy. My first HPX was in '05, and it has since then showcased some of the greatest lineups. This year looks no different.

Most exciting, I think, is seeing Vancouver's Japandroids on the bill. I have the album and the EP kicking around my various musical devices and I honestly can't get enough of this... this extreme sound. I've never seen them, I can only imagine the rock they bring to a venue. NYC's Japanther is likewise on the bill.

Final Fantasy is back, Ohbijou and The Acorn (who recently put out a joint split EP which is worth a listen) are added, and in almost a step back in time, there is set to be a set shared between Julie Doiron and Herman Düne, which, as a Sackvillite (or whatever our demonym is) who has only ever heard tell of these coordinated efforts, I am hopelessly excited for it.

I'm sure more news will come along soon. Early Bird passes are available for $90 from Ticketpro, and the last day for application to join this already fab lineup is the 20th of July.

This entry is also available at NxEW.ca. Check it out!

No comments: